Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is dedicated to addressing the mental health needs of students at Eastern Michigan University. Our caring staff provides free counseling and serves the EMU community by providing educational workshops, outreaches, consultation to faculty and staff, and training to graduate students in the mental health professions.
CAPS offers short-term counseling (also known as psychotherapy or therapy) that focuses on finding solutions to problems and relieving symptoms. Counseling is offered to currently enrolled EMU students and is free of charge. There are many reasons EMU students come to CAPS for counseling. Common examples include the desire to:
- Decrease anxiety or worry
- Reduce feelings of sadness or depression
- Learn how to cope with stress
- Deal with relationship problems
- Change behaviors that get in the way of academic success
- Cope with the death of a friend or family member
- Manage thoughts about suicide
- Reduce self-harm
- Discuss eating or alcohol problems
- Manage concerns relating to sexuality
- Recover from past abusive experiences
- Get help adjusting to life in a new culture
Groups and Workshops
Groups and workshops addressing a wide range of issues are available during the fall and winter terms. For more information, please click here or contact CAPS.
CAPS has a part-time psychiatrist who provides mental health medication management. Psychiatrist services are not free and CAPS bills some health insurances.
Since our services may not be appropriate for all problems, your counselor could recommend career counseling, academic tutoring, medical evaluation, or another counseling agency or mental health professional.
Faculty and staff may speak with a CAPS staff member about a student/classroom problem. Discussion may resolve the problem or help the student obtain the proper referral.
CAPS offers several special events and programs throughout the year, such as National Depression Screening Day. Please call 734-487-1118 or stop by 313 Snow Health Center for the latest information.