Swoop's Student Food Pantry Emergency Response
Swoop's Food Pantry, located in the John & Angie Sabo Swoop's Food Pantry Room, has experienced a dramatic uptick in students due to the COVID-19 crisis. Nearly 160 shoppers are visiting EMU's volunteer student-led food pantry per week during very limited hours. In addition, many of the shoppers are students who have never used the food pantry before. These facts underscore the critical resource that Swoop's Food Pantry is now fulfilling in our community.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to progress, we anticipate that student demand will continue to rise as well as the need for resources and support. Please consider making a monetary gift and/or a food donation to help meet this rising need and ensure the well being of our students.
Swoop’s is seeking these supplies through donation to keep up with demand:
- Refrigerated items such as milk, eggs and cheese. Also, beans - both canned and dried - and pasta, rice and bread.
- Self-care items such as body lotion, soap and bubble bath. Also creative outlets such as used (but with all the pieces!) puzzles, games, journals, and other creative things such as coloring books, markers, and crayons.
Swoop’s can arrange pick-up of these items from your porch if you are in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor area. Please email Swoop’s to inquire about making a food or self-care product donation, or to arrange a pickup, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Swoop’s Pantry
Swoop's Food Pantry is a campus-based, student led organization that is run by a leadership board consisting of EMU faculty, staff, students, and alumni volunteers. Our mission is to provide current EMU Students in need with food assistance and additional resources to positively impact their well-being and success. Our goals are to:
- Create a sustainable resource for the EMU community to temporarily help meet food needs of students at EMU
- Meet emergency, non-food needs
- Distribute food discreetly in easily accessible and safe environment on-campus
- Provide additional resources as well as assist shoppers in accessing services in the area
- Involve additional resources and community partners to ensure the sustainability of the pantry
Donations of unexpired food or gently used household and clothing items can be brought to Swoop’s Food Pantry located in The John and Angie Sabo Swoop’s Food Pantry Room, 104 Pierce Hall.