Support the Southeast Michigan Stewardship Coalition as they raise $5,000 for two scholarships for teachers from Detroit and Ypsilanti to participate in the program
Become part of a movement that supports our teachers to build strong communities through transformative education!
The Southeast Michigan Stewardship (SEMIS) Coalition makes education come alive by giving educators hands-on learning opportunities and wrap-around support to address the social and ecological justice issues that students face in their communities every day.
Our model integrates learning into the community, empowering young people to solve real world problems so that they have an active role in shaping their present and future.
Teachers are our nation’s heroes, and their job in the best of times is near impossible. With the pandemic, teachers need even more help in creating transformational learning for our community’s children!!
We are hoping to fund two scholarships for teachers in Detroit and Ypsilanti to participate in our program and create meaningful, fun, and challenging learning environments for students.
In the past, SEMIS students with help from their teachers have:
- Addressed community and school flooding issues caused by climate change
- Run public education campaigns to build community residents’ knowledge of sustainability efforts
- Conducted heat illness awareness workshops alongside the distribution and installation of low-cost kits (e.g., shade film, fans, weatherstripping) for window air conditioning.
- Used math to design and create green infrastructure projects on school grounds.
- Designed and built parks on abandoned lots next to the school
Your contribution will help create the healthy and sustainable world we desperately need at this moment in history by supporting the teachers who care for and nurture our children.
For more information about the SEMIS Coalition, please go to semiscoalition.org and join our learning community at https://m.facebook.com/semiscoalition/