Swoop's Food Pantry is a student-led organization that supports the EMU community by providing food assistance and other resources to students, staff, and faculty to positively impact well-being and success. Students can visit the John and Angie Sabo Swoop's Pantry Room as needed at no cost while working towards their degree. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Swoop's has offered online ordering in addition to safe in-person shopping in the pantry.
Since opening on September 21, 2015, Swoop’s has had over 17,000 student visits and distributed over 320,000 pounds of food, personal hygiene items, and household goods.
Help us reach our goal of raising of $5,000 this Giving Trueday to continue supporting EMU students by December 31st!!
If we reach our goal of raising $5,000, EMU Student Government will match the donation!
- Perishable and non-perishable food, hygiene items, menstrual products, school supplies, baby items, household goods, small appliances and clothing/accessories
- A selection of graduation gowns and regalia for loan during commencement
- Thanksgiving and Holiday meal baskets
Current College Food Insecurity Statistics:
- It’s estimated that 33-51% of college students in the U.S. experience food insecurity - compared to approx. 10% of the general public
- This is due to dramatic shifts in the affordability of college and the fact that many families cannot financially support their adult children
- 71% are “nontraditional,” meaning they may possess the following characteristics: experience financial independence, are enrolled part-time, work full-time while in school, are caretakers for dependents, and/or did not receive a traditional high school diploma.